Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Heguru Learning

Today I took urgent leave because I just did not feel all well since yesterday. Body aching and cough lingering... bad feeling. So hubby advised that I rest one day at home. So, got some time to update the blog.

Last Sat was the Open House to Heguru. Got to know about this thing from friends. It's about right brain training for young kids from age 0 to 6. I thought it would be good to bring Evans to some class where he could mingle with other kids and also to learn something instead of staying at home every other weekend, playing with the same old stuff. But I am not expecting that Evans will become a genius or whatsoever after the class. I just hope that this class can cultivate his interests to learn and to help him have an easier start.


The Principal of Heguru @ Eunos, Eng Liang conducted the one hour briefing on the method of teaching and answered some of the parents' queries. It is a method from Japan, with more than 30 years of history and is well known for right brain training for children.  (I don't think my parents have heard of this even 30 years ago.) Mrs Rumiko Henmi was one of the founders and she was termed as one of the super teachers in Japan. Heguru only came to Singapore this year.

From what I understand from the Open House, the optimal time to train the right brain abilities is when the kids are from the age of 0 - 6. In fact at the age of 3, the ability to absorb will start to fall. And when the kid reaches 6, the ability will sort of become stagnant. Met a mom that day, she also commented the earlier the better, because she has sent her elder son for right brain training before, when he was 3 years old then. She commented that she found that the techniques did not really apply to him anymore because probably he was "too old". She brought him to this right brain education school which practiced Shichida Method. I have seen this branding via Google but remembered some negative comments.

Anyway, the commitment required is only once a week, each lesson lasts for an hour. So I think we can afford it. It will cost us $260 per month. We signed Evans up, starting 3rd week of Apr. It will be every Sunday 10am. In an hour, they will get to do 40 different activities. It sounds a lot but Eng Liang explained that the right brain actually processes things at a very fast speed, so speed is the key factor in the class. And kids' attention span is very short, so the varieties of activities can help to keep them occupied.

During the briefing, Evans was not 100% focused (expected). He was playing with a couple of chairs and he tried to 'play' with another elder brother in the class, observing him and mimicking him. Then when the parents gave the elder boy the "wang wang xiao man tou", Evans couldn't take his eyes off him. He simply loves food! When the boy offered Evans one, he took it without hesitation. Haha! I have to take out his stars snacks to distract him from taking more food from the boy.


Anyway, observing Evans in the class, my concerns is can he sit through the entire one hour in order to learn something? We shall see!




Waiting for the Open House to get started




Waiting for papa to register me for my very first class!



Heguru @ Eunos
Guthrie Building. 150 Changi Road, #04-04. Singapore 419973
(5 minutes walk from Eunos MRT Station, beside AIA building)

No comments:

Post a Comment