Thursday, 27 October 2016

Breast Milk

People call mummy's milk as liquid gold because there are hundreds of natural nutrients in the breastmilk  (bm) which is not present in the formula milk (fm). During my mom's times, giving bm wasn't popular and we were on fm. But now, everyone is advocating breastfeeding. For Evans and Eden, I managed to latch for a few days before kicking in the pumping schedule. Very tough to start and build supply. Once the routine and supply are set, things seem easier even though for Eden, I had problem pumping on time because of lack of help.

I was more diligent during Evans's times because all of us just had to focus on one baby. I recalled I was an over supplier. For Eden, I had experienced short supply before and we had to rely on fm to tide over. Now 4 months plus post partum and Eden drinking 150ml for each feed  (5 to 6 times per day), I am just an "enougher". There were good times last 2 months when I could store some frozen bm in the freezer for future use when I am back to work. But now I just wanna focus on feeding the fresh ones, particularly because Eden seems to be coughing and he often sounds nasal. I could hear phlegm. I know a few friends told me due to narrow airways babies have, they usually sound nasal. But still I think it is affecting our sleep. At around 3 to 4 am, Eden would start to fidget and turn, I think he is trying to find a comfortable position to breathe better while sleeping.

Recently his coughing seems more frequent, so I feel that all the more I should give more bm for the antibodies. When he was coughing, I was still thinking "eh... I thought breastfed babies shouldn't fall ill so easily...." Recalled Evans was quite illness-free during the bm times. But now probably with a sibling, Eden is exposed to greater risk of being hit with some flu bugs. So I really hope my bm is a good medicine for him.

While bm is liquid gold, it doesn't mean breastfed babies don't fall sick. If they do, it will be less severe in terms of intensity and duration. So I can only keep giving my liquid gold and will keep pumping for the supply.

4 hourly, 20min per session, 1 middle of the night pump, 5 pumps per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment