On mc today. Happened to catch snippets of this documentary about this Pastor Lee who leads a church in Seoul.
What was special about his church was he created a Baby Box. A box, for parents who did not want to keep their babies. When the parents left the baby in the box, they would ring the bell so that the church could retrieve the baby.
I find it very heartbreaking to see the babies being left in that box. One was only 22 days old and he looked so adorable. Pastor Lee gave them generous love and care, he did not want them to be left elsewhere otherwise they might not survived the weather and from the stray dogs.
![]() |
| Pastor saying a prayer |
I think it was very noble of Pastor Lee to do that. He helped many helpless (esp single moms) and abandoned babies but I am also not too sure will this encourage more abandoned babies. It was said in South Korea, there is a strong social stigma on single mothers. They did not want to be labelled as shame so would rather choose to let go of the babies. But why not putting them up for proper adoption then? Tough. When the mother puts up her baby for adoption, she needs to register her name with the baby. Only when the baby is officially adopted, then the name will be off the mother.
So, most times, as long as the baby is un-adopted, the mother bears the name and the shame of having a baby, unwed. Usually when Pastor Lee sees a baby in the Baby Box, there will be a note with the baby, and it usually begins with "I am sorry...".
Pastor Lee's Baby Box is the best alternative for these young single mothers (as least they know their babies will be well taken care of) but he was forced to close down the box because of the legislation (all babies must have proper registration records). Pastor Lee has to give up the babies to the government and he couldn't bear to do so, esp those with disability. I feel for him because he has given all his love to them but cannot watch them grow. He was particularly concerned for those disabled kids also because he has a disabled son who suffered from celebral paralysis.
I think it is not only in South Korea but typically Asia countries, we cannot avoid such social stigma. We were taught the social convention to get married then kids. If not, YOU ARE A SHAME. Though I think probably such pressure is more evident in South Korea. In Singapore, under the media influence and exposure to western culture, I think it is a little 'easier' for unwed moms. But, of course, still not the approved way.
Anyway, back to the Baby Box, I just wish that people can be more responsible for their actions. Don't do something which you cannot afford the consequences. It's a precious little life.







No comments:
Post a Comment