I suddenly woke up, maybe had the urge to pee. I couldn't remember if I did walk out of the room to pee but think I did. Went back to the room where Evans was undisturbed.
I couldn't sleep. After a short while, the urge to poop came and I went into the master toilet. I did clear my bowels but the stomach pain became cramp-like and acute when I stood up. I felt like going back on the toilet but when I did, the pain got worse. It just got worse each time I stood or sat or bended or whatever. I woke hubby up and he jumped out of the bed. I called the hospital line to check if I was in labour. Yes silly me. Nurse said she couldn't assess me over the phone. I silly, thought she could tell from my voice. Without further ado, hubby activated my bro and we got ready to move out. I told hubby if we should wait for my bro. While I felt a bit uneasy to leave Evans alone, the pain I had was killing me, every inch of it... Hubby just said this was the risk he was willing to take and off we went.
5am on the road.... I was extremely thankful because traffic was smooth. Hubby had to drive and to tolerate with a woman in labour when driving was NO JOKE. I couldn't stop fidgeting and moaning in pain. I breathed loudly and moved my butt and unbuckled / buckled seatbelt. Just wanted to distract myself from the excruciating pain. Forgot that it was like that for the first labour. I really pitied hubby for bearing with the stress. After 15min, I could barely walk but I had to. I dashed to the delivery ward with nonstop moaning and begged the nurses to help.
They quickly put me on delivery bed and somehow changed me into the hospital gown while I was struggling in pain. One kept telling me to keep my legs straight and she said it very firmly and all I could do was try. They told me "DO NOT PUSH YET..." But the stomach muscle seemed to be out of my control, the body was telling the mind to push. When one nurse said she could not see the baby's heartbeat, I was very concerned. I tried to do everything instructed, including the DO NOT PUSH even though it really seemed impossible. I did a lot of self talk in my head: MOLLY YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. YOU MUST DO THIS. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! It was a relief to see Doctor Tan reached the labour ward so soon at this wee hour. She looked serious but steady.
I was asked to turned to the left first and yes trying to hold my legs down and straight and trying to breathe loud and REEEELAX. I was wondering where hubby was. He later told me the Nurses asked him to stay out of the room first. But luckily he came in when I was asked to push. FINALLY I could push!!!!! Like passing motion, I had to take in deep breathe and then tuck my chin towards my chest and push and I was not supposed to let out any sound. Just focused my energy to push downwards. Any tilting of the head or chin was not allowed. All I saw was the nurse signalling to me No sound, head straight... Oh my it was stressful but I was focused, wanting to get it over and done with! I took my pace and took in a deep breathe and push with one breathe as long as I could. Hubby was next to me, holding my hand.
After.... 4 pushes? Around there, I felt a big chunk coming out of me. I felt that the body opened up to push the baby out. He was out, fast but quiet. The doctor and Nurses tended to the baby for a good 5 min while I was left hanging there with legs still spreaded and wondering what was happening. No one was attending to me. I asked if baby was ok, no one answered. Hubby told me to let the doctor do her job. What he didn't tell me was he saw the doctor and Nurses were trying to resuscitate the baby by massaging the baby's heart area, rubbing his arms and legs....
I waited patiently with hubby holding my hand. I could catch a sight of baby moving slightly, I could hear baby whimpering a bit. After that, baby finally let out a loud cry! We were relieved. He was perfect and he came out pretty clean.
Our 2nd little boy was finally borned, 5.30 am Sunday 5 Jun. He weighed 2.95kg and was 50 cm long.
Doctor then had time to tend to me after settling the baby. But she asked me when I felt the pain and what the interval was like. I told her there was no interval but she said it was not possible. She said I should have come to the hospital once the pain started. No more calling. I thought she must be "lecturing" me because any later would be bad. She went on to stitch my wound and man, it was one of the more uncomfortable experience. Ok it was not as painful as I thought without epidural but it stung when the stitch went deeper in. Could feel the needle prickling and the sewing... .... Just wish to go to my ward soon. I wanna enjoy the Hospital stay as soon as possible. And I was very glad hubby was with me the whole time.
Hubby also appreciated the short labour process, all took place in an hour and without epidural.
I was amazed by the speed of things and how I overcame the pain which was then considered
unbearable. On retrospect, I am very thankful of things happening, early in the morning when hubby was with me. And that we managed to reach hospital in time for a safe delivery. It was very dangerous for the baby if we were late. I can't imagine if it was during the peak hours, or it happened when I was alone, or I was alone with Evans...it would be terrible coping.
I am extremely thankful for what happened for my 2nd birth experience. It was painful, no doubt but it was quick and I finally got to experience birth without epidural! This was something in my mind... Was considering to go through this without epidural but not very confident. This scenario left me no choice. I did it.
To my little guy, thank you for giving me a short hard time and thank you for being strong.
To my elder boy Evans, thank you for not freaking out when you couldn't find me at home. Also thank my brother for rushing down so that I could have a peace of mind to do my laborious job!
To my big guy, thank you for staying with me and being encouraging. Also staying calm when I was struggling in pain on our way to the hospital. <3



No comments:
Post a Comment