Saturday, 11 June 2016

The Hospital Stay

Hubby said the time which Xiao B was borne helped to maximise the hospital stay. The 3D2N stay in the hospital is probably the most enjoyable part for me because it is the time for me to worry about nothing and just rest. The only thing which I need to do was to breastfeed and probably to entertain some guests. This time round, I did not expect a lot of guests so I did have my share of rest. It was enjoyable for me especially after the short and epidural-less labour, I felt "normal" and mobile within the same day, though the stitches still hurt when I move. So for the first day, I practically stuck to my bed most times.

Hubby upgraded me to the premium single room 521, the exact same room when I had Evans, minus the extra bed because hubby did not stay overnight. I still remember when I was wheeled to the room, hubby was with me all the way. I felt really relieved when I saw his face when I was being wheeled into the ward. We had a short chat then hubby went back home to relieve my bro and he also wanted to bring Evans to Heguru for his lesson before bringing him to see me. Actually I was hoping my parents and bro could visit me early but my parents came only after lunch.

I was enjoying my personal time when hubby left. I watched OKTO so that I could feel like I was with Evans at home. It was Robocar Poli at 9am but somehow I did not get to watch the show without interruption by the different hospital staff, bringing me medicine; updating me on baby; bringing me food; etc. And I was pretty tired, I did fall asleep on and off. But I was very happy to be able to eat shortly after the birth! Some snapshots of my confinement meals in the hospital:

 
The bee tai mak breakfast, right after my delivery

TMC's signature fish soup, very delicious indeed!!!
I think this was lunch.
The staff also pushed the baby into my room and baby spent some alone time with me, sleeping throughout. Good boy for letting mama having a peaceful time eating and watching TV. :)

"Unbroken"





During the stay, I tried latching on for about every 3 hours. And I was very glad to experience it again and it felt good to be able to direct feed the baby. And he seemed to be suckling well, just that tend to fall asleep but not as sleepy as Evans. I think the effect of epidural was quite prominent. This Xiao B was more alert during feeds. But my pride to be able to latch on was short-lived. The more I latched on, the more pain I felt. I realised I did not do it very correctly even though the nurses were encouraging and mentioned I was doing it well. But the pain told me that I did not do it well. Even so, every night I still looked forward to the latching time even though it meant interrupted sleep every 3 hours. I even prepared myself on the 2nd night to make sure I was ready for the breastfeeding but in the end, baby came in later and I fell asleep. LOL.

Oh another thing I looked forward to was my hubby and Evans's visit. Though I had enjoyed the alone time, I still looked forward to them accompanying me. I remembered one morning, hubby came without Evans and he had to be on laptop and take some work calls. I was glad, because he was with me. :) Sounds like I was a little needy? Or maybe I sensed the challenges ahead so I needed some advanced support. :S

I love this shot, Evans first visited me at the hospital
Evans loved to visit me and he liked TMC and commented it felt like a hotel room. He was walking in the room barefoot as if he was in a hotel. He is a sweetheart and he kept saying he wanted to keep me company. The first night, he couldn't bear to leave me and was in tears when he said he wanted to stay overnight with me. It took me a while to convince him that I would be alone here and it was only for patient, papa was not staying over too. Though I must say, I felt a little lonely when they left after dinner. :(  The same feeling I had when I said goodbye to hubby and Evans on the 2nd night, at the lift lobby. When hubby told me he might be coming back to stay overnight, I was a little happy inside but I knew it would be bad for his back if he were to sleepover. But in the end he didn't come back as he brought Evans back home to sleepover. Yah, slightly disappointed but I think it was better for him.

The earnest look when visiting me
The last morning, Evans came to pick me up for home

Very soon, when the last morning came, I really could not bear to leave because I enjoyed having to worry about anything else except latching. And I thought being in the hospital was the safest place and I need not have to worry about the baby. But be realistic, I need to leave the comfort zone. And thankfully, my buddy Rain came and she helped us entertain Evans and also carry some stuff. Really appreciative!

Thanks Rain for helping us take this shot!





Up next I should be talking about my confinement. I am still in my first week of confinement, and it has been an emotional roller coaster ride, especially the first few days. Will catch up later...

No comments:

Post a Comment