Friday, 4 March 2016

The Attack of the Stomach Flu

This post is supposed to be one that shares about the school excursion with Evans to the Changi Beach but... it is a wet blanket on us when Evans suddenly developed fever and stomachache yesterday.

Yesterday evening after work, I went Four Leaves to get a load of mini breads for Evans's excursion. Hubby also got some juices and snacks. When I reached my parents' place, I wasn't greeted by Evans's usual cheerful self. Instead he told me that he had stomachache since afternoon. And mama was trying to look for his paracetamol as he had a slight fever too. It felt dreadful as we were all looking forward to today's outing, especially so for Evans. And he had paid for the excursion with his angpao money.

I was still bearing a slight hope that he might feel better over the night and be fit enough to go. Through the night he couldn't sleep well as he didn't feel good with the temperature and stomachache was acting again. Mama and I took turns to towel him and we diligently fed him paracetamol. At 4am, his stomachache woke him and he started having diarrhoea. And it came back on again in the morning 7am when he was still concerned missing the bus for the excursion. He was really keen to go.

Though fever seemed to have gone down, I couldn't let him go because it was too risky. What if his diarrhoea leaked again, what if his stomachache came back? He wouldn't have enjoyed the day. I got to explain to him a few times while he sat on the potty, trying to clear his diarrhoea. He was very disappointed that he cried, and kept saying that he felt better and he wanted to go because he had paid money. I felt really sad too but it was really for the better. He needed the rest. Disappointed, of course even for me and hubby but it was really a Hobson's choice.

We took him to see Dr Tan, the nice GP and got some medication. Dr Tan explained that it was stomach flu, affecting the digestive system. He could hear some wind in the stomach. He said it was virus from the environment, couldn't tell from who or how. When I consulted Dr Tan on the use of Ibuprofen and paracetamol, his reply was differentfrom what I heard usually. He said both are different medicines so it's ok to feed both at the same time when the fever gets high like reaching 38.5. And he said it's no point to wait for fever to reach 38.5 before feeding ibuprofen. We could just give ibuprofen first if there is sign of rising temperature. Point heard but we are not too comfortable with that as many said not advisable to feed the 2 together but I didn't want to question further.

Hopefully Evans would feel much better really soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment