Monday, 14 March 2016

After the Flu Comes the Phlegm

The past week was quite hectic, with work; Evans down with stomach flu and then cough with phlegm. I really had to learn how to compartmentalize the different issues happening so that I can better contain the stress and not react to it too adversely. I think it helps a lot when there were not too many comments/advice how we should "treat" Evans. Basically my help is my mom.

As the main care giver and because she is my mom, I took her feedback seriously and we started to worry how come Evans kept having recurring stomachache, despite the Colimix given by the GP. Though the less worrying part was he did not have anymore diarrhea, we still brought him to his PD. I took urgent childcare leave on Weds morning. Interestingly it was also the day when the sky showed a unique blue shade across the sky because of the eclipse. It was pretty nice, on our way to the PD. Thankfully, being there early also meant that we did not have to wait for long. Our PD is very popular. It was a relief for us after the visit. Doctor Cecilia Lee gave us probiotics and anti-diarrhea powder for Evans. Those are definitely easier to feed than the GP's Colimix which Evans complaint it as "spicy" and very bitter.
Easy to feed powder

Evans also took a urine test, just to make sure everything was ok. The visit was not cheap. It costs us $75. I guess that's the price for a specialist? But I rather have medicine that works and they do. Could see that he doesn't have much stomachache recurrence. And probiotics is supposed to be good for building his gut. Or maybe he is just recovering on his own... I don't know but I am just glad he doesn't have to be awaken by stomachache and diarrhea!

Waiting for my mama at the market

But just a few days later, we noticed he developed some thick phlegm and cough. As usual, he couldn't cough it out so it kind of disturbed his sleep a little. Started on Thursday and on Saturday morning, we decided to just visit the PD again. This time, it was a long wait, with so many babies and kids around. We really waited like more than 2 hours for our consultation and medication. I was tired because I did not really sleep very well the night before. Not too sure if it wa
s my hormone or what, I had very random and unrelated dreams being put together in a series. They made me sleep and wake and sleep and wake again. When Evans woke me up at 8.30am, I was thinking "Eh, I thought you have woken up earlier?", then I realized that was my dream. I was confused. Anyway, this time, Doctor gave us antibiotics and cough/phlegm mixture. And I am just glad that Evans is still as happy and cheerful.

Self entertainment is needed to distract ourselves from the long wait
Medicine that seems to work

The happy little boy who is all ready to sing for us
Evans has not been drinking milk for the past week! And we replaced his milk diet with bread (plain, sugared, or jam). He loves them. Not too sure if it is the probiotics but his appetite grew, asking for more servings. Many told me he is very skinny, especially since the stomach flu, we forbid him to eat oily stuff. The nurse at the PD clinic advised that when he is ready for milk, try to feed him using cup, instead of milk bottle to minimize the air sucked in. We will try that, and see how it works for him. He seems open to the idea for now.

Being a working (pregnant) mom has a lot of challenges. The challenges will be never ending, once you become a mom. I should probably reflect on this and write something on this experience, just for my personal reflection.

Be totally well soon boy boy and you will get to eat your favourite food!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment