Saturday, 19 March 2016

Missing the Staycation

Back from our 2D1N staycation at the York Hotel. Due to serious "miscomm", we were not able to fulfil our cruise dream so as consolation, bro organised a staycation for the family. This was what I have been looking forward to, a break from the routine and it ended so fast!!! But thanks to bro for paying for our accommodation. Our first time at York. I would not say it was luxurious but it was not too shabby. I am like Evans; who wished that the staycation could last a little longer. I really miss the time spent together at the hotel and the places we went.

What welcomed us at the hotel lobby was a long queue to the White Rose Café. We planned to bring the family there for its traditional buffet lunch but this period it was the Penang Hawker Fare special. Still I did not expect the crowd. After tasting the food, I was even more puzzled for the rave and its popularity. For each pax $34, I seriously did not find the buffet very fascinating. All you could have are the simple hawker items like Fried Kway Teow (which by the way had the longest queue); Oyster omelette; Prawn Mee; Kway Teow Soup; Ice Kachang; Chendol; Min Jiang Kueh; Penang Laksa; Lor Bak; Fruit Rojak; Kang Kong cuttle fish; Pasebur (some sort of salad). Woah I pretty much named all the items. My personal popular items would be Oyster Omelette and Prawn Mee which at least tasted decent. Noticed many patrons were aunties and uncles whom I guessed might appreciate the food for its history or as a celebration?
Happy that we have settled the check in and finally entered the restaurant after the long queue

Hungry boy savouring his kway teow soup
My papa got Evans a piece of the min jiang kueh, which he loved and hubby thought it was the best item in the buffet.

Papa, hubby and bro went to queue for the buffet food so that we all could fill our stomaches fast... each could only get 2 portions each time but with the limited food choices, we pretty much covered the entire line rather fast.


In celebration of the Penang Hawkers Fare, while hubby filled up the lucky draw dip, we figured to have a little fun with the props. I got 2 lucky dips but only got a non-woven bag.




After lunch papa brought Evans to his former workplace - Goodwood Park Hotel to visit his old colleagues. And the boy came back with a plum fruit and a piece of very expensive strawberry shortcake ($9.10)! Luckily they got it at 50%.

The 1st afternoon at the hotel was free and easy. While Evans was taking a nap with hubby; parents resting in their room and bro suntanning by the pool, I went to shop a little while at the Far East Plaza. Came back with a melon tea for bro, a KFC froyo yogurt ice cream for me and OCK snacks... It was a furiously hot afternoon, the skin could tear!

My parents and bro's room was at the Annex Tower and ours was at the main tower which mean we had to take a different lift and it made it more troublesome for Evans to "visit" them. LOL! But their room was really spacious with a queen size and 2 single beds! Facing the Hotel Quincy, it was quite nice and cosy. Bro helped to "upgrade" our room size to one that was slightly bigger which to me, no complaint, I enjoyed the space, though could tell our room was a little older. Its showerhead really bugged me. I was trying very hard to manipulate between the cold and hot water to put a bath for Evans. It felt like some rocket science to even reach the "right" temperature!

My parents and bro's room - Premier Quadruple, really spacious!
What we did for the night was simple but it was memorable for me because how often does the family get this chance to walk along Orchard road, with no concern of the time and rush for the transport, since we just stayed a few streets away. I recommended bro to The Ship for dinner and glad that the family enjoyed the food and ambience. It was one of my favourite lunch places and I thought they might like the place too. Though it was a busy evening, the service provided was decent and prompt. The Ship has always given me a positive impression with sincere service, not overly attentive but reasonable.

All set for dinner and oops, photo bombed as the lift door opened. LOL!


The dinner sets we had
Photo by Evans
Another photo by Evans
A scary photo by Evans... LOL!
A very happy boy
He really loved spaghetti!
All happy after the dinner

The lights along Orchard Road, captivating.
After going to Takashimaya to get some stuff from the Baby Fair, we slowly strolled back to our hotel. It was a nice and easy stroll but it got rather long. And to think we did not get any supper back to hotel because seriously we were quite full. But when we were back to the hotel, after settling down, hubby tempted me, asking me if a Mac would interest me. @)*@)$&*#... and it did. And so he did to get me the burger while I tried to make Evans sleep. Guess he was too excited, but he was also very excited to set the alarm for the next day's breakfast. The sleep felt all at home but not when Evans kept kicking me away because he thought I was hubby. (Hubby and I switched positions on bed so Evans thought I was him.)

Like Evans, I too looked forward to the breakfast. At staycations, I always look forward to the international buffet breakfast, the time to indulge in the spread of bread and main courses. Evans woke up, in extreme happy mood and was having fun playing with the hotel lights switch. He said he wanted to "surprise" papa with the lights when he woke up. Funny boy. When hubby played along, Evans let out an adorable giggle. 

Now that Evans could drink milk direct from his cup, he finished the milk more quickly and we were all ready for breakfast at 8.30AM so we gathered with the rest of the family at the lobby. Breakfast was at the White Rose Cafe.

Evans, woke up a chirpy boy!
Mama, enjoying her porridge

Evans and the bread with jam
Evans with jiu jiu

One of my favourite combo... the waffle was really crispy and fragrant. Topped with the peach dessert, it was really yummy!
Papa commented that the breakfast at Marina Mandarin was better but of course, the price was different too! As the morning crowd grew, we had our fill and decided to just go back to our rooms to rest a while before heading for the pool. The pool was big enough for Evans and hubby to have some fun. :) Mama and bro were amused by how Evans swam. The way he kicked his legs and the way he chuckled brought smiles to our faces. He seemed to be swimming a lot fast at the pool there, perhaps the pool wasn't big so it made it easier for him to maneuver? 











Finally we had to say goodbye to the staycation. Should be thankful that we were given late checkout time till 2pm. But still it's always hard to say goodbye to a break/holiday/time off work. Hubby brought the family to Dome at Dempsey Hills for lunch before we called it a day. I almost forgot how good its club sandwich was! Oh and the sweet potato fries were also great and they went really well with its salsa and tar tar sauce. I had the Mango Passionfruit freeze which was totally refreshing and made me feel "happier". 
Ending our staycation with Dome

Funny Evans and his selfie
But when we returned home, I felt a little depressed (and tired). I really miss the staycation very much somehow. Well I think I miss every staycation but this time, I felt it stronger. Maybe it meant a lot to me for this break off work or it meant a lot to me that my bro planned this for us... I just miss this lah! No other words to put it across. Certainly hope we can do this again sooooon!

No comments:

Post a Comment