Thursday, 17 November 2016

A Long Awaited Holiday, Hongkong

12 Nov to 15 Nov 2016.... that was how long our holiday was. Yes it was my long awaited break which kinda happened during the time when hubby and I were recovering from cough and flu respectively. Hubby's cough was persistent and long, even now he is still having lingering cough. Me? I recovered since day 1 of our holiday, thankfully!

When I started packing for this holiday, I didn't think much about the fun and all. More concerned to make sure I brought enough clothings for Evans in case the weather changed erratically. I was also hoping that Eden would not tire my parents too much. In any case I cherished my time with Evans alone.... finally got to go to bed with him!

After we came back, it was unexpected that I actually miss the holiday extremely. Despite this trip was a little different from what I would usually wanna do like shopping, eating/snacking, I really miss the experience with Evans in particular. It was his first experience in Cathay Pacific where he was very excited about the personal in flight entertainment and also the plane food. He couldn't hide his joy seeing the tv in front of his seat. Adorable! I was telling hubby during the holiday, I felt frustrated at times but never did I realise I still miss what we had overseas. I guess going back to a hotel, a nice and cosy one beats going back home when I am more particular about the chores.

We were not very prepared for this trip. No written itinerary and limited research. Ended up feeling lost on first night and making wasted trips to Lai Chi Kok for the adidas outlet which has ceased operation 3 years ago!!!! Time and money wasted. Due to insufficient time and Evans's unkeen interests in waiting and shopping, I didn't get to go Argly Centre and The Peak which I wouldn't miss each time I go Hongkong. Evans's main interests were taking the Airport Express and MTR; and playing with the hotel city guide hp. Even in Disneyland he wasn't all hyped up but was into the Dumbo ride for sure. Me, I am glad to finally watch the fireworks. Felt really magical but just hope the other visitors would quit raising their hps to record the show. They were obstructing my view. Oh another incident was Evans's shoes and sandals decided to give way at the same time that made me so  desperately wanting to get a new pair for him! I should be glad that I could find one decent pair at Adidas outlet, Tung Chung Citygates. Those shops at Mongkok.... Things weren't cheap and people weren't very helpful too.

Right now, I am suffering from after holiday blues. Back to baby care reality makes me miss Hongkong with hubby and Evans soooooooo much. To lessen my blues, let the photos bring back some joy. 

Day 1 Setting off and Roaming Around at Mongkok

Breakfast at the Dnata lounge, a lot of selection indeed
Excited to be boarding the plane
I am still recovering from flu but the thoughts of holiday surely make me feel much better!
Queuing for the plane
It has been a while since I last boarded a plane
The boy is all about the in-flight entertainment
Miss the travelling times with hubby
All smiles onboard
After 4 hours of flight, we are on Airport Express, HK Airport to Kowloon
Waiting in line for cab to Mongkok, Kowloon
Checking in Cordis Hotel
Up to our room on the 18th floor (first night)
The "uninterested to take a photo" Evans
Relaxed on the bed. I had good sleep every night.
Complimentary cake from the hotel
Evans happy to drink mama's milk
Hubby tried to bring us to a restaurant recommended by his boss but to my "horror", it was not quite a restaurant. It was the typical "can teng", a small eatery, packed. The seats we were given were direct under the air conditioning. It wasn't pleasant for me and I was very concerned for Evans too. In the end I got to disappoint hubby to settle for a more proper eating environment for little boy's sake. Frankly I was flustered on my first night here. I blame the lack of research which we ended up walking extra route. And I was unable to find new shoes for Evans as his foot kept slipping out of the current pair.

At this point I didn't quite feel like I was holidaying... you see, I didn't even bother to take pictures of what I was eating.
Macaroni dinner at Ming Hua
The boy is not into shopping so we come back hotel earlier. It is only 7plus pm.
The skies in HK turned dark very early at this time of the year. I think it became dark when it was only 6 plus pm. So when we headed back to the hotel, I kept thinking it was already 9plus but to my surprise, it was only 7pm. The night was still young and we were already in our room. Haha! This says so much about the change in holiday style when we brought a little kiddo with us.

Day 2 Outlet Shopping

Dim Sum breakfast at Dao Xiang, we never miss it when we visit HK
Personally I wasn't impressed with the food at DaoXiang. Was disappointed because it was once my favourite dimsum place! But what we had, was nothing very impressive.
He loves the porridge
The plan for Day 2 was to start with the Adidas outlet at Lai Chi Kok. It was only after we reached there then hubby realised it was Sunday and the shops (by right) started operations at 1130am and we were an hour earlier. The place looked boring so we thought to change the plan to go Tung Chung's City Gates instead. Anyway today's plan was to go outlet shopping. What irked us was the 2nd visit to Lai Chi Kok! The same "dead town" and no more Adidas outlet. ARGH! It was officially Evans's least favourite station, haha!
Made 2 wasted trips to Lai Chi Kok to find the Adidas Outlet gone
Changed our plan to go CityGates for outlet shopping instead and we desperately need to get a new pair of shoes for Evans so that he could continue his walk in HK!
When it was lunch time, we waited long for our turn at Teawood restaurant, selling Taiwanese cuisine. We were really patient and we finally got in! And I should be grateful that we were given a good table where I could pump milk relatively easily. Phew! The food was quite amazing. I had a great time feasting but like what hubby commented, the oyster pancake would be great if eaten hot. And the more we ate it, we felt kind of "sick", too much of a fried stuff.
Lunch at Teawood. A long wait but I love the lunch. Missing the Oyster Rice Soup already.
Evans shared the dumpling noodles with papa
Got a pair of Adidas (Evans's first pair) first thing at City Gates. It wasn't cheap, HKD 280 (around S$50plus). But I did not want to fuss about this price because the prices offered at Mongkok were way more expensive, around HKD 400 plus to get a decent looking one. And there was a 20% discount if we were to get another orange labelled product so I got myself a tee (S$40) and a shorts (S$28). Not exactly cheap but I doubt they will cost any less in Singapore. My main disappointment was not able to find a pair of sneakers/walking sports shoes. I found the designs but there was no size. What a pity.
Thankful to find this pair in the Adidas outlet!
At Teawood, we are quite done with our lunch.
Evans takes photos at every MTR station he has been to.
Evans likes Cordis Hotel
This is our room view (from 2nd night onwards). Way from level 32!
Facinated
At Jordan for Australian Dairy Co and Mak's Noodles
Found the eateries pretty easily
Evans got a chance to savour his wonton noodles which we seldom let him. He has his heart's content and finished the huge plate all by himself! 
Hubby "da bao" the luncheon and egg sandwiches from the Aust Dairy Co for supper. After our noodles dinner, there was really no other programme. The original plan was to go to The Peak but for the fear of the long queue at the tram station (esp on a Sunday), we aborted it and went seawards instead. We took the Star Ferry from TST to Central but Evans was not too impressed with it. It was just another river ride for him. And at Central, many shops were closed and what we saw was gatherings of the foreign workers at the area. Nothing much for us to do so we headed back Mongkok via MTR. Sounds a bit wasted for this evening.
Night view from our room. The lighted stretch is the happening Mongkok estate.

Day 3 Disneyland!

Waking up to a brand new day, a day to Disneyland!
But we got to have breakfast (at the hotel's Garage Bar) first.
Though there was really no "wow" item in the buffet, I was quite amazed with the wide selection.
Can't hide our Disney mood
Sunny Bay - speaks for the weather that day at Disney
The Disney train (it is crowded!)
:) :)
With his sunnies because it is really uniquely hot (as compared to our 1st 2 days in HK)
This is our 1st thing after we enter. He insisted on the train ride when Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy were having Meet & Greet downstairs!!! 
Evans loves the Dumbo ride
We are onboard, ready to fly!
On the green Dumbo

Jap ramen at the Royal Banquet Hall for lunch. The coke is delicious on a hot day like this.

"Like"
Mickey's 3D show (The 3D glasses didn't stay long on Evans.)
I have been to the Jungle River Cruise so I recommended to take the ride. It was entertaining and I recalled having fun with my project team. Hubby and Evans enjoyed the cruise too.
Jungle River Cruise
My first cotton candy 
Adore the baby care centre at Disney. So homely and adequate. All I need for pumping are in there.

Happily pumping while the boys continue their exploration  
Its deco is sweet and brings out the motherly instinct.
There are 2 comfortable chairs in the room, aren't they nice?!
It looks weird that after I pumped, the bottle was heated up and given to Evans to drink. But I am just glad the liquid gold is not wasted during the trip. Evans was a dear to even want to drink it.
Afternoon's parade starts
The performers are so full of vigour and I imagined myself doing that, it felt awesome!
No Mickey and Minnie, Buzz Light Years is good as well.
Cheers!
Evans insists to take this Orbitron again.
Happy family
It's getting darker

Loving Evans's smile in this
While the boys queue for Dumbo, I strolled around and found my BBQ Korean Squid! Crazy me bought 3 and each is HKD39, not cheap right? But I really love it and of course it gives me nice memory when Ronnie bought it for us.
Remember this magical feeling
We thought people would be rushing for dinner before the finale fireworks show at 7.30pm. We were wrong. The cafe was not packed at all. We went to the Corner Cafe for pastas (super overpriced) but nice service.




After dinner, I went to pump again. The facilities were so easily accessible and I enjoyed the peace during the pumping sessions. I think it's a great idea to have staff manning the baby room to avoid abuse.
Waiting very patiently for the last show
Wow, the fireworks and lights show was simply MAGICAL! The familiar disney songs and music gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I felt moved but wasn't totally immersed into the fairytale mood because there were too many people holding up their phones to snap the pictures or record the show. So my view was semi-blocked most times. Still, was glad we stayed throughout.

Time to say Goodbye!
The night looks beautiful
While hubby gets supper for me, we went back our cosy room first.
I hope this was a memorable day for Evans, even though he was not really familiar with Disney.

Day 4 Going Home Soon

It is always sad having to end a holiday. Even though I did miss Eden, I somehow felt that the overseas holiday was not enough, I think my mom would beg to differ. Hah! Anyway, the last day was spent casually and what we had to do was to get the snacks we wanted. Having visited HK so many times, this was my first time getting the Caffe Mocha cookies and Almond Crisps from Kee Wah Bakery. Guess what, I LOVE THEM! I love them more than the Jenny's cookies. To me, those are overrated! Regretted that I only bought the small packet. I am missing those cookies, especially the Caffe Mocha cookies. Ordinary looking but I am addicted. Now I am trying to find out who else is going to HK. *drool*

Last breakfast at The Garage Bar 
Western breakfast today\
Its laksa is not too shabby!
He is so happy to see Yakult in the buffet line.
:)




Snapping away the day view from our room... I am going to miss the sleep in the room...




On our way to the airport in cab
bye Hongkong!
Evans has no time for papa...


I don't know when will be my next overseas holiday but I am glad to have gone for this one despite not feeling well beforehand, Eden was still coughing, hubby was coughing too... The holiday sure made me feel rejuvenated!

No comments:

Post a Comment