Evans was looking forward to this day where I could join him at the preschool's open house and parents-teacher meeting. It was a new concept. Typically the PTM is a scheduled session with the teachers to talk about the progress of our kids but this time round, they wanted to make it different by combining the open house with the meeting.
I was glad to see what was happening in the classroom and I got to see the kind of activities Evans did at the different corners with his friends. They did their singing, like how they normally would do in class. Teacher demonstrated how he encouraged the kids by giving them stars (stickers). He said he wanted to give Evans's mommy 2 stars for trying her best. LOL! I think because I did the song actions, despite my very pregnant state.
Teacher also shared how he encouraged the students to behave with the use of positive words and gestures, instead of labelling the child as "naughty". He strongly believed in encouragement than punishment. He shared that the word "punishment" carried a serious connotation so he would refrain from using it. Instead he would use "consequences". It was a refreshing thought and reminded us as parents to be wary of the words we used on our child. But habit is hard to kill and I realised I do use the word "naughty" often. Haha!
 |
| Caught sight of Evans's drawing of his friend. |
 |
| His assignment to make the mandarin oranges |
I had a good chat with Teacher on Evans's progress in class and noted that Evans still needs to build up on his confidence in speaking in a large group in class. But teacher did share that he has shown improvement in this aspect. The little boy is definitely more talkative at home than in class. Teacher did share at times Evans can get very active and chatty but there are also quiet time, just like us, adults when sometimes we feel like talking and sharing but at others, we just want to stay quiet. He said academically, Evans has no issues but need some practice in terms of motor skills. So let him try more cutting, just simple actions of cutting straight lines will help. Point taken.
Evans enjoyed the open house activities, particularly the sand and the making of onigiri. Oh we also got to have a chat with MP Desmond Choo (again). Haha! We chatted as if we knew each other for some time but I doubted he remember speaking to me in the earlier open house last year.
 |
| Evans with his favourite teacher, Ms Hu who has known him since N1 |
 |
| Evans's favourite activity of all, proudly presenting his onigiri |
My little boy seemed to have grown up a little, being able to mingle with his friends yet he is still attentive to me; not having to chase him around. I am thankful for his mannerism.
No comments:
Post a Comment